Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

About 3 weeks ago, I decided that I had procrastinated about going to our doctor long enough, and that I needed to find out what was wrong with me because I had been dealing with pain in my muscles, joints, ligaments, etc., for over a year now. The pain was getting worse and worse. There had to be a reason, right? However, there had been so much going on in our lives (like 3 new grand babies!) so taking care of myself wasn't my highest priority. :+) Well I went in and explained my symptoms, she ran a bunch of tests on everything from my thyroid to checking for arthritis. My low thyroid came back fine with the medicine I am already on, and it is not arthritis. However, I do have fibromyalgia. I have all the "tender points" that this disease has, as well as the "fibro fog" that makes me forget some things (so lists are becoming a necessity for me), the sleeplessness, the Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) which makes me absolutely crazy many nights, and of course, the Chronic pain that comes with this disease. Some days the pain is so bad that I can barely move. Some days I hurt so bad that I want to nothing but cry. However, my doctor started me on a medicine geared toward Fibromyalgia called Savella. I have finished my two week titration pack, and am now on a full dose of it, morning and night. I pray that it helps!!! Living with chronic pain is not something that I thought I had in my future. However, what I have always assumed was my "mono achiness" as I called it, (since I have had it since I was a Junior in high school), I assumed that this was just that stuff getting worse for whatever odd reason. Well, now we know what it actually is, and I know what I can do to better control it and hopefully reduce much of the pain.

2 comments:

Erin J said...

My prayers are with you during your health crisis. But I must say as a woman who has suffered similar symptoms for almost a decade I can say that I have found some relief through some holistic health steps that I have taken. One of those being that I found a connection between my use of antibiotics and the inflimation flare ups. I no longer take any perscription antibiotics but I now take probiotics. Also I did a Candida Cleanse. Lots of Fibro suffers have an overgrowth of Candida(Yeast) its usaually pretty cronic. Also something else I did that helps with my flare ups to do fresh green vegetable juices as well as green food supplimnets. I also notice heavy proteins causes the pain too. I don't know if this is the case with you but maybe some of these things can help.

Unknown said...

Hi Erin!

I don't know much about holistic health steps? What are probiotics? I can see about the proteins causing flare ups. And what is Candida yeast? I've never heard of that. I have a lot to learn! :+)